Monday, September 13, 2010

Grace

     If I had to pick one description of how I think a Stoic should be pictured, I wouldn't make it impervious or unfeeling or disconnected. Those descriptions are false perceptions by people who haven't taken the time to truly know what Stoicism means. The term I would choose would be grace. How uncommon it is that we hear about someone being attributed with grace aside from athletes and dancers. It would seem we've lost sight with what it means to be emotionally and intellectually graceful in our thoughts and actions.

     Grace has multiple meanings that all fit seamlessly into the aspirations of a Stoic. For instance, all of us have been at a dinner table where someone has said grace or a small prayer of thanks for the food. If you are any kind of observer of reality, you will see the sense in being thankful and appreciative of your next meal. I've not missed a meal in my 32 years unless by choice, but until I started practicing the thought of being without food or even a table to eat it at I've never appreciated my meals so much.

    Grace might also mean being in a state of favor with the almighty (something is almighty but I'm not quite sure what it is). The fact that you're reading this right now is all the proof I need of your state of grace. How so? First and foremost, chance or divinity decided to arrange a few billion particles and make them into you. Since you've not killed yourself yet, I see you find this to be a fine place to stay. Aside from that, you've got working eyes, someone took enough interest in you to teach you to read, and you've got a working internet connection. It would be a shame to think you didn't appreciate any of those things I've listed when we well know they won't be yours for long.

   Grace also means to show mercy and to pardon others. I don't know how this wasn't obvious to me for so long when I expected nothing less from others toward myself. When you eliminate all your imperfections and vices, I'll grant you the privilege of scorn. Until then, chill the fuck out.

    Lastly, grace is the model when must strive for when life is made difficult. In being graceful, we are hardly shaken and far from broken by anything we encounter. We don't find fault in anything but our own judgement and our failure to be more prepared to accept what happens. When does grace begin? You know that 2 second rush of chemicals in your body after you're surprised, scared, or disappointed? Right after that.

No comments:

Post a Comment